A Game of 20 Questions with Jessica Lacoursiere
This week's feature is Jessica, from Edmonton, Alberta.
She spent 10 years racing triathlons (4 of those being long distance), then she discovered bike racing in 2017 and fell in love. She belong to one of the largest women’s groups in Alberta, dedicated to getting more women involved in cycling and sport (we LOVE this!). Outside of cycling she enjoys hiking and spending time outside with her husband and their Labrador puppy.
Meet Jessica Lacoursiere
Location: Edmonton, AB
Follow Jessica: @albertaskygirl
1. How long have you been riding bikes?
I’ve always had a bike!
2. How did you get acquainted with cycling?
I always rode my bike to school as a kid, and we often did family bike rides for ice cream in the summer. I tried a triathlon in 2007 and the rest is history!
3. What kind of riding do you do? (track, mtb, road, cx, all of the above, etc)
Primarily road but I love CX and I give mountain biking a good try
4. How many bikes have you owned throughout your time cycling?
13 -Which seems like a small number!
5. How many bikes do you currently own?
4- Road, CX, MTB, and vintage beach cruiser
6. What is your dream bike?
Cervelo S5 with disc brakes for road and a carbon Focus for CX
7. What is your most memorable cycling experience?
Riding 300km for my bestie’s 30th Birthday last summer from Jasper to Banff down the Icefields Parkway!
8. How many of your friends ride bikes?
A lot of them!
9. Do you prefer riding alone, in a small group or a large group?
I just love riding! I mix it up to keep things interesting
10. Have you ever travelled with your bike? Where?
Yes! Often to race in BC but last year took my bike to Phoenix to visit my parents in Feb and had a blast!
11. What is the biggest challenge you faced when you started riding bikes?
I’m not a small rider so I struggle with hills, but I’m strong... Descending and cross are my specialty!
12. What are your cycling goals for this year?
Upgrade a category (already done!) and enjoy my new life as a single sport athlete
13. What is your post-ride ritual?
Fresca and plain chips!
14. Bibs or non-bibs?
15. Do you believe that your socks should be at least 5” long, or, short?
16. What is your hairstyle preference while cycling?
Low pony or aero-braid
17. What snacks are always in your jersey pocket?
Coke bottle gummies and a banana
18. Cycling specific sunglasses or casual glasses?
19. Bar tape loud and bright, or black and classic?
My CX bike is loud, my road bike is matchy
20. What advice would you give to other women who are just starting out?
Ride your bike, find a group, learn some basic maintenance, do not be intimidated by other women riders, they were new once as well
Stay tuned for next week's feature... If you want to be featured, fill in our ONLINE QUESTIONNAIRE. We would love to feature ALL women who ride bikes, regardless of where they are from, their age, ability or experience level.