20 Questions with Anna Talman
For our third feature, we are back to Vancouver, BC with Alberta transplant Anna Talman! Anna rides for Trek Red Truck and is a very accomplished young cyclist (For example, last year, she won a medal at the Canada Summer Games road race). She is known in the Vancouver cycling community as super approachable, sweet, with a permanent smile on her face. But don't let that fool you - she is one tough cookie! She also bakes the best sourdough bread around and is currently taking orders. Just saying.
Meet Anna Talman
Follow Anna's cycling journey on Instagram: @annatalman
Age: 20 years old | Location: Vancouver, BC
1. How long have you been riding bikes?
2. How did you get acquainted with cycling?
Growing up my family didn't have a car, commuting by bike was the main form of transportation. I tried a learn to race program when I was 13, and have been hooked since then!
3. What kind of riding do you do? (track, mtb, road, cx, all of the above, etc)
4. How many bikes have you owned throughout your time cycling?
16, but never all at once! I've grown a lot since I started riding, that has definitely contributed to the number of bicycles.
5. How many bikes do you currently own?
Trek Speedconcept for time trials, Trek Emonda for road racing, Rocky Moutain Solo for adventuring, and a Giant Trance for single track!
6. What is your dream bike?
An Open U.P.P.E.R for gravel and road riding with some sweet carbon wheels would be pretty sweet.
7. What is your most memorable cycling experience?
Riding in Astana, Kazakhstan in the U19 Track World Championships.
8. How many of your friends ride bikes?
A good handful, my teammates are some of my best friends.
9. Do you prefer riding alone, in a small group or a large group?
I enjoy both, riding alone is a very good way to reset, but I also love the social aspect of the sport.
10. Have you ever traveled with your bike? Where?
All over the world! Mostly in a bike box, on a roof rack, or the ferry.
11. What is the biggest challenge you faced when you started riding bikes?
The time commitment that comes with high-performance sports, and missing holidays and birthdays for racing.
12. What are your cycling goals for this year?
Top 3 at U23 road nationals in the road race! Top 10 in one of the crits at BC Superweek is also something that has been in the back of my mind.
13. What is your post-ride ritual?
My Chamios shorts always come off when I get in the door. If it was a tough day, lying on the kitchen floor eating ice cream.
14. Bibs or non-bibs?
15. Do you believe that your socks should be at least 5” long, or, short?
Most of mine are over 5", but every once when laundry day doesn't work out I will be in shorter socks.
16. What is your hairstyle preference while cycling?
Long ponytail out the back, or braid (more aerodynamic!)
17. What snacks are always in your jersey pocket?
Brownie Clif Kid Z bars or homemade chocolate chip cookies are two of my absolute favorite
18. Cycling specific sunglasses or casual glasses?
Cycling specific, I have a pair of 100% glasses
19. Bar tape loud and bright, or black and classic?
Big fan of black, it matches my saddle
20. What advice would you give to other women who are just starting out?
Stick with it! It is a challenge, but worth every minute.
Stay tuned for next week's feature... If you want to be featured, get in touch. You can even simply answer the questions above and email us the answers! We would love to feature ALL women who ride bikes, regardless of where they are from, their age, ability or experience level.